Already on the hunt for a Product Information Management solution? We recommend the following steps to ensure a thorough product evaluation and a clear road map for your product information journey.
Learn how the experts at Agility PIM can help your organization excel in Commerce. Take our online PIM ROI assessment to help you determine the potential value a Product Information Management (PIM) solution can bring to your business. You’ll get the results instantly and we will also email you a copy of your assessment results for use in building your business case for PIM.
The Product Information Management provider field is crowded with many competitors vying for business from companies seeking a PIM product. For the seekers, the process of evaluating and choosing a PIM software can be daunting. Even the first steps — knowing one’s needs and what questions to ask — require careful thought.
As a high-level general guide, a company shopping for a PIM should take these steps:
- Assemble the decision makers — The core team will typically consist of the CMO, the CTO and their key lieutenants. Cross-functional expertise is critical because not everyone “speaks IT” and a group is less likely to overlook an important factor.
- Consult stakeholders — Content developers, your analytics team, vendors, designers, other end users. Ask: What do you need in a product information management solution?
- Identify the Dream State — What ideally will the PIM be able to do for the company?
- Define a Set a budget — Consider the initial and future costs associated with on-boarding a new solution including: training, implementation, reoccurring licenses, ongoing support, and managed services.
- Narrow down the field — Close to 80% of research is done online. Try to narrow down your list of potential PIM providers to 3-5 maximum. Remember, not every PIM is a good fit in all cases.
- Ask the Hard Questions — A PIM (like a puppy) is for life, so make sure you get a feel for the depth of people as well as the product.
The ideal PIM provider will be able to:
- Discuss whether PIM is right for your business
- Help your team develop a ROI for a product information management solution
- Demonstrate how easy the PIM system is to use.
- Explain how the PIM will interface with existing systems.
- Demonstrate scalability to meet future needs.
- Explain how data transfer into PIM will happen
- Map a timeline for completion.
- Explain basic PIM functionality and options.
- Demonstrate how the PIM feeds output channels (print, web, other).
- Explain ongoing support after the installation.
- Provide references from clients who previously purchased the PIM.